Types of Broadband Modem
- Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi)
- Digital Subscriber Line (DSL)
- Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL)
- Very high speed Digital Subscriber Line (VDSL)
- Cable Modem
- Broadband over Powerlines (BPL)
- Terminal Adapter Modem
- Universal Serial Bus (USB)
- Always download broadband drivers from th legitimate websites recommended by the manufacturer.
- Regularly download the firmware (driver code)
- Always use the power adapter supplied by the manufacturer along with the modem.
- Don’t enable the option for remote administration (via Internet), as it is not required for a home user.
- Don’t enable the option “Restore Factory Default Setting” in broadband modem.
- Don’t use connection without a filter for each broadband Internet line.
- Don’t tap the line before the splitter (a small dvice that separates phone line from data / PC port).
- Don’t use USB broadband modem with insecure
Mobile Phone Security
- Mobile Device and Data Security Attacks
- Do’s and don’ts for Mobile Device
- Record IMEI number:
- Record the unique 15 digit IMEI number. In case Mobile phone is stolen/lost, this IMEI number is required for registering complaint at Police station and may help in tracking your mobile phone through service provider.
- Enable Device locking:
- Use autolock to automatically lock the phone or keypad lock protected by passcode/ security patterns to restrict acess to your mobile phone.
- Use a PIN to lock SIM card:
- Use a PIN (Personal Identification Number) for SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card to prevent people from making use of it when stolen. After turning on SIM security, each time phone starts it will prompt to enter SIM PIN.
- Use password to protect information on the memory card.
- Report lost or stolen devices
- Report lost or stolen devices immediately to the nearest Police Station and concerned service provider. Use mobile tracking feature.
- Use the feature of Mobile Tracking which could help if the mobile phone is lost/stolen. Every time a new SIM card is inserted in the mobile phone, it would automatically send messages to two preselected phone numbers of your choice, so that you can track your Mobile device.
- Use Bluetooth in hidden mode so that even if the device is using Bluetooth it is not visible to oth- ers.
- Change the name of the device to a different name to avoid recognition ofyour Mobile phone model.
- Note: The default name will be the mobile model number for Bluetooth devices.
- Put a password while pairing with other devices. The devices with the same password can connect to your computer
- Disable Bluetooth when it is not actively transmitting information.
- Use Bluetooth with temporary time limit after which it automatically disables so that the device is not available continuously for others.
- Never allow unknown devices to connect through Bluetooth.
- Never switch on Bluetooth continuously.
- Never put Bluetooth in always discoverable mode.
- Note: Attackers can take advantage of its default always-on, always discoverable settings to launch attacks.